Bylaws of frontrunners lexington
Dated: December 29, 2021
Article I. – Name
A. The name of this club shall be frontrunners lexington (hereinafter referred to as the “Club”).
Article II. – Mission
A. The purpose of the Club is to encourage and support LGBTQIA+, gender non-conforming individuals, and allied persons of all fitness levels in the Lexington, Kentucky area who are interested in running and walking, and to promote general public health, fitness, and to create a welcoming environment for sexual and gender minorities in the Lexington, Kentucky region.
B. In pursuit of this goal, the Club will hold regularly scheduled running and walking events, encourage participation in competitive events, organize social gatherings, and conduct other related activities alone and in cooperation with other groups.
Article III. – Membership
A. General Membership. General Membership is open to all who wish to join, regardless of ability, physical condition, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, age, race, religion, ethnic background, or nationality.
B. Paid Membership. The Board may establish a Paid Membership class, and the Board may set the terms, rates, and other regulations thereof. However, Paid Membership may not be a barrier to participation in club sanctioned events, including General Membership meetings, fun runs, social events, etc.
C. At the discretion of the Board, benefits of Paid Membership may include the participation in Club official business, voting, eligibility to hold office, and receipt of Club correspondence. With the absence of a Paid Membership class, all of these enumerated benefits belong to the General Membership class.
Article IV. – Governance
A. The Club is governed by its members and operates by consensus. To facilitate the ongoing business of the Club, members will elect a Board. The Board is elected to serve the interests of the Club and its members. Members of the Board must be members of the Club, and of the minimum age set by the Commonwealth of Kentucky for Board membership.
The Board will:
1. Conduct the day-to-day business of the Club, including oversight of all Club matters.
2. Hold meetings as necessary, but no fewer than 4 meetings per year.
3. Review and approve financial expenditures, monthly/quarterly financial reports of the Club and its associated Programming.
4. Establish a non-voting ad-hoc Advisory Committee at the beginning of each board term comprised of an attorney and accountant. The Advisory Committee serves an advisory role to the Board and contribute to legal and financial decisions that need to be made by the Board.
B. The Board will consist of no more than seven members elected to one year terms by the Club’s Membership. No member may serve more than four consecutive terms.
C. A majority of Board members shall appoint members to fill vacancies and unexpired terms.
D. Terms run from the 1st of January to the 31st of December.
1. Serve as the chief administrator for the Club and the Chair of the Board, convening over Club and board meetings as required, and appointing committees as required for special events and issues.
2. Represent and speak for the Club to outside organizations.
3. Approve financial expenditures of $500 or less in consultation with the Treasurer.
4. Delegate and assign duties as necessary to assure Club business is accomplished.
5. Serve as a signatory for Club bank accounts.
b. Vice Coordinator
1. Assume the responsibilities of Coordinator in their absence.
2. Serve as a signatory for Club bank accounts.
3. Administer the Club’s financial affairs, providing financial reports to the Club Board during regular Board meetings.
4. Collect, record, keep, and expend Club funds in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
5. Approve financial expenditures of $500 or less in consultation with the Coordinator.
6. Serve as a signatory for Club bank accounts.
1. Record, prepare, and disseminate minutes for Club Board meetings.
2. Preserve all records, reports, and official documents of the Club.
3. Serve as governance officer during official club business.
4. Maintain an accurate Club Membership roll.
e. Outreach & Social Coordinator:
1. Support membership drives, Pride activities, and other special events with appropriate outreach activities.
2. Assume primary responsibility for Club social activities.
f. Member At-Large (two seats):
1. Participate in Club decisions, and support Club activities.
D. Appointed Officers serve at the pleasure of the Elected Board. Their primary purpose is to support the Club and the Board by handling specific functions related to the Club’s business. Appointed Officers are encouraged to attend meetings as needed, but are non-voting members of the Board. The Elected Board is encouraged to review the number, responsibilities and designation of Appointed Officers within 30 days of each election. Appointed officers serve for a one-year term or as needed by the Elected Board.
Examples of Appointed Officers are as follows:
1. Race Director
2. Walking Coordinator
3. Apparel Coordinator
4. Membership Coordinator
6. Newsletter Editor
E. The Coordinator may establish committees as necessary to carry out special tasks. Committee chairs shall report to the Club Board as requested and as applicable, adhere to established budgetary guidance, including financial reporting. Committee recommendations are subject to approval by the Board.
F. Removal from Board. A Board Member may be removed from their position after having failed to attend, either electronically or in person, or failed to provide a proxy, to two regularly scheduled meetings in a row, and upon a 2/3 vote of those attending a following meeting.
Article V. – Elections
A. Elections for Board Members will be held annually between October and November. Elections will be presided over by an Election Committee composed of at least three members in good standing who are not seeking elected office, and appointed by the Coordinator. The Election Committee shall select a chair upon organization.
B. The Election Committee shall seek nominations for Board positions from the Club voting membership 30 days prior to the election. The nomination period will be open for 14 days. The Election Committee will announce the slate of candidate and members in good standing will have 7 days to cast their votes. Voting will be conducted electronically when possible. In the case of two people running for the same position, the election shall be by plurality of the members voting. A secret ballot shall be used.
C. The Election Committee will announce the election results within 48 hours of the completion of voting.
Article VI. – Amendments of By-Laws
A. These Bylaws may be changed or amended by the Club with a 2/3 majority of full Board membership voting in favor.
Article VII. – Quorum and Voting
A. At Club Board meetings, a simple majority of elected Board Members shall constitute a quorum. The quorum may be established through attendance, by proxy, or through electronic communications.
B. Every act approved or decision made by a simple majority of the elected officers in attendance (or through proxy or electronic communications) shall be a valid act and decision of the Board.
C. Without a quorum, the Board may meet to discuss Club business, but may not make decisions or expense of funds over $500.
Article VIII. – Dissolution
A. In case of dissolution, Club assets will be donated to a LGBTQIA+-related charities as approved by a vote of the Club members and in accordance with all applicable laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.